Senior Software Engineer, Android
Harman International is the worldwide leader in the manufacturing of high-quality, high fidelity audio and electronic products for automotive, consumer and professional use. Harman’s Palo Alto office is the home of Aha Radio, the first interactive, on-demand, personalized radio. Aha is safely connecting consumers to their favorite audio and internet content on demand while they are on-the-go.
Harman Palo Alto produces the Aha Radio mobile applications and is currently working with multiple automotive and CE manufacturers to bring personalized content directly to drivers.
The office is led by a team of executives with more than four decades of experience developing consumer automotive and location-based services applications. Working for Harman Aha gives you the opportunity to be part of the team creating “Radio 2.0” all within the environment of an exciting start-up but with the resources and global reach of a multi-billion dollar corporation.
The Aha Android developer will help create and implement our next generation Android products. Our Android products allow users to interact with various content channels that are delivered as audio channels and enable the user to configure and manage their channel setup. You will need to work on handling events and sending data to devices connected to the smartphone, include in-vehicle entertainment systems, radios, and other in-vehicle controls. For this exciting opportunity you will code and work with the team defining the overall architecture and influencing our protocol implementation. This role reports to the Director of Mobile Engineering.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Design, code and test our Android applications on Android-based devices.
- Work collaboratively with the rest of the engineering organization to influence protocols and overall system architecture and design.
- Work with the Product Manager and our UE Designer to define the app flows and interactions to ensure they are consistent with Android best practices and are reasonable to implement from a technical perspective.
- With the Lead Android Developer and QA, develop a test plan and approach to ensuring your product has high quality and meets customer expectations.
- Implement unit test cases for you code.
- Be capable of developing using an agile methodology, providing daily revs of code and builds.
- Think out of the box when it comes to defining unique ways users can leverage our service through Android devices.
- Education: BS Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent, MS strongly preferred.
- 5+ years of software development experience with mobile or web technologies
- 2+ years experience developing Android applications
- Prior experience developing on mobile devices or using Java for Android.
- Experience developing apps, and more specifically, presentation components of the mobile app experience
- Ability to communicate with and influence technical, product and design teams.
- A passion for mobile. We are looking for developers who are as excited about mobile as we are. You must understand the unique nature of mobile devices and why they are revolutionizing the way we stay connected and receive information.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to work in an office in Palo Alto CA
- Willingness to submit to a background screen